If you’re looking for a new checking account, or a better option than what you have now, there are certainly plenty of choices. You want to find the best checking account for your needs and stage of life. At the same time, you want to get the best possible benefits with your new checking account. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to consider when choosing a checking account.
When choosing a bank in West and Northern Michigan, you may be tempted to go with a big national chain, one whose name you already recognize. However, choosing a national bank could mean giving up these benefits of local banking:
1. Personalized Service
Local banks often have more personal relationships with customers, which can lead to better, more individualized service. At West Shore Bank, our employees live and work in the same communities we serve. We are your neighbors and we are as invested in your community as you are.
2. Community Involvement
Local banks are often more involved in and supportive of the communities they serve, which can be beneficial for both the bank and the community. For example, West Shore Bank participates in Spirit of Giving, an annual initiative to support community members in Benzie, Grand Traverse, Mason, Manistee, Muskegon and Oceana County. We also sponsor the Rhythm & Dunes summer concert series, a free summer concert series that benefits local high school music programs.
3. Knowledge of Local Market Conditions
Local banks are often more familiar with local economic conditions and can provide more tailored financial services as a result. And because we're local, we have a deep-rooted understanding of your community and the local market. . . Whether you’re looking for a year-round home, a vacation property, or investment, we can help you find what you’re looking for and answer any questions you have.
4. Support For Local Business
Local banks often focus on lending to local businesses, which can help support the local economy and create jobs. Along the lakeshore, many small businesses experience seasonal peaks and lulls. Our business bankers can help you find the right solutions to manage cash flow and other business needs.
5. Better Customer Service
As a local banks, we understand the customers’ needs, look out for their best interest and work hard to give them the premier service they desire. Often times with more responsiveness and willingness to work with customers to find solutions to financial problems.
For example, during the early months of the pandemic, community banks helped their business customers get PPP loans. Also, local financial institutions were better poised to help personal banking customers get through a temporary setback.
Just ask Bryan, who left this testimonial:
6. Checking account perks
Community banks tend to offer a variety of checking account options, including checking accounts with perks, interest checking accounts, and more. Checking account fees are transparent (no hidden fees or other unpleasant surprises) and there are ways to reduce or waive the monthly maintenance fee.
Can I Open A Checking Account Online?
Online account opening isn’t just for the bigger banks. You can enjoy the convenience of opening an account online at many banks now, including here at West Shore Bank.
The benefits of opening an account online include:
- Convenience: You can open an account from the comfort of your own home or office, without having to visit a physical branch. This can save you time and effort, especially if you have a busy schedule or the bank is located far from where you live.
- Ease of Use: Online account opening processes are generally designed to be user-friendly and easy to navigate. You can typically complete the process in just a few minutes, and you don't need to be tech-savvy to do it.
- Speed: Online account opening can be faster than traditional methods because you don't need to wait for paperwork to be processed or for a representative to be available to help you open an account.
- Flexibility: Open an account online 24/7, even if physical branches are closed. This can be especially useful if you're unable to visit a branch during regular business hours.
- Better Comparison: You can compare different bank account options online and pick the one that suits your needs the best.
Online account opening is a quick, convenient, and safe way to open a new bank account. It can also save you time and money. Of course, if you prefer to open an account in person, you can visit one of our convenient branch locations in West and Northern Michigan.
Open a New Checking Account online!
Whether you’re opening your first checking account or looking for a better checking option in West and Northern Michigan, compare our personal accounts and open your new checking account online! It’s quick and easy and you can contact us for help!
So are you ready to get started today, join the West Shore Bank community and start banking with us today!